Example Of The 5 Stage Process
A health care provider trained in diagnosing and treating concussions can help prescribe an individualized Return to Play Protocol. This can be a concussion specialist such as those at Fairfax Family Practice Comprehensive Concussion Clinic. Here are examples of the 5 Stage process:
- Exercise in quiet area (treatment rooms recommended);
- No impact activities
- Balance and vestibular treatment by specialist
- Limit head movement / position change
- Limit concentration activities
- Symptom free cardiovascular progression.
- Exercise in gym areas recommended
- Use various exercise equipment
- Allow some positional changes and head movement
- Low level concentration activities (counting repetitions)
- symptom free cardiovascular progression.
- Any environment ok for exercise (indoor, outdoor)
- Integrate strength, conditioning, and balance/proprioceptive exercise
- Can incorporate concentration challenges (counting exercises, MRS equipment/ visual games)
- Continue to avoid contact activity, but resume aggressive training in all environments
- Initiate contact activities as appropriate to sport activity
- Full exertion activities for sport activities
Return to Play
Whether it’s the football field, the basketball court, the hockey rink, or any other arena, sports-related concussions continue to be a focus of concern for athletes, coaches, and parents.
Returning to sport should include a step wise progression. Allow one of our concussion experts guide you through this process and set up a plan that best fits you.